Friday, February 4, 2011

On movement

Monday evening I started writing a post about physical movement. It was a mess, and I ended up trying to rewrite it all week. Somehow, I can't quite put into words something that needs to be experienced physically.

This morning, I watched a TED video (one of my favorite websites--the link is below) about running. At the end of the video, McDougall says that we should return to the days where running was joyful. Suddenly, I was reminded of my crappy post, because that is the exact word that I kept using: Joyful.

The problem with my crappy post was that I was taking too long to say something simple, but the video helped me solidify my idea. So, here it is: Physical movement should be joyful, and it should be an integral part of our lives. As a culture, we are far from that philosophy. Most of us don't rely on our physical abilities for survival, so it's difficult to imagine why movement needs to be a part of our daily lives. We're given the choice between physical movement and stasis, and too often we choose stasis for all the wrong reasons, and even worse, we choose movement for all the wrong reasons too. I think McDougall explains it better than I do:

Christopher McDougall: Are we born to run? | Video on TED.com

I agree that we need to bring joy back into our physical movements. It might not be running for you, but we each need to find a way to move that brings us closer to our bodies, our surroundings, and other people.

2 comments:

c.a.b. said...

Ok, I haven't watched the video, but just from reading your post, I'd like to say Yes, Yes, and Yes! Too often, we look at physical activity as a chore and like there's some hump of "I hate working out" to get over before you feel the "I feel terrible when I don't workout." But if there's joy there, then the ease and motivation to "workout" isn't work anymore. Me likey :)

Domestic Kate said...

c., I figured you'd like this post. It was right in line with your post about group energy I think. I had more to say about how we look at exercise as punishment: "I have to work out today because I ate pizza last night." To me, that's a double-whammy. It means you didn't fully enjoy the food you ate and then you aren't going to enjoy the exercise. Plus, how many people feel worse about their bodies after they've exercised? I've watched many women go into a locker room after a work out and weigh themselves. I wonder how many feel less connected with their bodies during and after a workout. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves? It's so much simpler to engage in activities that bring us joy.