Monday, February 28, 2011

Tex-Mex pork and corn Soup

Normally, I don't like reposting published recipes, but I found this recipe reproduced on several websites, so I can't feel too bad about it. It's originally from Better Homes and Gardens Eat Well, Lose Weight. I don't have a picture of it, but if you really want the visual, you can Google the title of the recipe, and you'll see other sites with the recipe and the photo that appears in the book :-)

1 tablespoon olive oil
12 oz. pork tenderloin or lean boneless pork, cut into bite-sized pieces.
1 cup chopped onion*
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 10 oz. package frozen whole corn
2 14 oz. cans of reduced-sodium chicken broth**
1 cup chipotle-style salsa or regular salsa (I used Trader Joe's garlic chipotle salsa)
1 cup chopped red or yellow sweet pepper***
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro****

*We're not big onion people, so I used about 1/2 a cup.
**I used half chicken broth and half vegetable broth.
***I used an orange pepper!
****I couldn't find cilantro, but the soup was still great.

In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork pieces; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until brown and juices run clear. Remove pork from saucepan and set aside. Add onion and garlic to saucepan; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender.

Add corn to saucepan; cook and stir for 4 minutes (I had to skip to the next step right away because there wasn't enough oil in the pan and the corn was starting to burn a bit). Stir in chicken broth, salsa, and pepper. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Return pork to saucepan and heat through. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in tomato and cilantro.

Serve with tortilla chips and sour cream if desired.

It came out really tasty! I think it helps to have a good salsa, and I took a risk by going with a salsa I'd never tried before. The only complaint is that the pork came out a little rubbery. I might have cooked it too long, or it might just be that lean pork is like that. Either way, though, I'll be making it again.

I think I've talked about this cookbook before, but it's worth mentioning again. It's about $22 if you buy it new, but it's on Half.com for $4.00. I recommend it. I think I've enjoyed everything I've made from it, and the book itself is handy because it's one of those spiral-bound books that lies flat on the counter--bonus!

1 comment:

mom said...

"***I used an orange pepper" - you're such a rebel!