Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In the kitchen

Last night, I suffered from a fit of domestic inspiration. These are the results:

Another batch of vegetable broth made from scraps.











Then I saw that I had a bunch of zucchini and summer squash that wasn't getting any fresher, so I decided to make zucchini bread. Technically, I suppose it's zucchini-squash bread, but it's all green, so does it matter? Anyway, it starts with 2 cups of grated zucchini, which just looks like a bunch of slop.






Then, it becomes a sloppy-chunky batter. By the way, the oven in my apartment doesn't have a light inside! I would probably be more annoyed if I actually used my oven very often :)









Then it becomes delicious! Sadly, I realized too late that I forgot to put in walnuts.

I've already set aside one loaf for friends, so I can't just accidentally scarf down both loaves within a 24-hour timespan. Not that I would do that.




It was nice being in the kitchen again and really getting to work. I should have taken a picture of the mess I made--have I mentioned that I am the world's messiest cook? Anyway, the apartment still smells yummy the morning after, and now I'm getting ready to make some chili in the crock pot for later. Domestic goddess indeed!

2 comments:

Elly said...

How did the veggie broth turn out? Chris usually makes ours, and don't tell him, but it's not always shall we say awesome?

Domestic Kate said...

I didn't taste this batch before I dumped it into a stew I made a day or two later. It smelled very onion-y, though, and I didn't have any tomatoes or carrots in there, so my guess is that it was probably a little bland or bitter. Most of the time, I don't worry too much about how it tastes because I'm always using it for meals where the broth doesn't matter very much.