Friday, September 2, 2011

Adventures in pumpkin!

I was excited when I saw that pumpkin puree was on sale recently at the grocery store, so I picked up two cans. I make a mean pumpkin bread, don't ya know.

Of course, what I really bought at the store was pumpkin pie filling, not puree. Imagine my disappointment, especially considering that I'm not a big fan of pie. What to do! This isn't the first time this has happened, either, and substituting pie filling for puree in pumpkin bread doesn't work (trust me). I decided to experiment, and here's what I came up with.

Kate's apple-pumpkin crisp:

For the gooey part
1 15 oz can pumpkin PIE FILLING. Not puree.
2 smallish apples, cut into bite-sized chunks
about a spoonful of brown sugar (my apples were a little tart, those naughty fruits)
ground cloves, cinnamon, and allspice to taste

For the crumbly part
3/4 cup of flour
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of butter, softened

Combine the ingredients for the gooey part in a saucepan and cook on the stove until the apples are softened.


Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the crumbly part. I use my hands for this, but I'm sure there's a daintier and more sanitary way to do this. Anyway, you should end up with little crumbly balls (heh heh) when it's ready.

Lightly grease a square baking dish. Sprinkle some of the crumbly bits on the bottom, then add the gooey mixture. Then sprinkle the rest of the crumbly bits on top.


I ended up fiddling around with the temperature on the oven because I was modifying a larger-portioned recipe. I started at 375 and let it bake for almost 20 minutes. Then I turned it down to 325 and let it bake for another 6-7 minutes. I'd say next time I'll put it on 350, and it'll probably be good to go for 25-30 minutes.

It came out pretty tasty after all. I mean, if you like pumpkin pie, then there's really nothing to complain about here. The apples have a way of dissolving, but they make me think I'm eating something with nutritional value anyway. Also, the gel-like consistency of the pumpkin mix held everything together. I forgot to take a photo of the finished product, and my two friends and I pretty much finished it all immediately, so apparently my baking skills outperform my photography skills.

In related news, friends have made some good suggestions for what to do with the extra pie filling (since I still have another can) including adding it to pancakes. Yes, I'll definitely be doing that.

2 comments:

mom said...

if you want your apples to keep more of their firmness, you might try just mixing the filling together and layer and bake it - without precooking the filling.

Domestic Kate said...

I probably should have done that, but I didn't know how long it takes for apples to get soft while baking.