Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Now's the time for me to dive into the all the projects that I've been too busy to deal with until now! Right?!

I'm really excited about my new year's resolutions because they are all things that I want to do, but they are also all things that I want to have as permanent (or very long-term) fixtures in my life. Real change takes time. As tempting as it is to do everything at once, I really do want to focus on one thing at a time. There's so much I want to do, but I know that if I want to do it well, I have to be patient.
 
That said, I'm going to focus my attention on one aspect of my life each month. That doesn't mean that I won't be doing (or writing about) other things too, but I want to set aside dedicated time and energy for the particular monthly task. This way, I'll get to know it intimately and decide how it's going to fit into my life on a regular basis.

I'd love for you to join me with my monthly themes or your own. Remember, you can do anything for 30 days!

For January, I'm going to focus on--you guessed it--exercise. Specifically, running, although I plan to work on overall fitness including strength and flexibility. Ordinarily, I dislike being so predictable, but it's the most urgent need in my life right now because I'm out of shape, and if I don't get on this right away, I won't be able to accomplish my goal of running a half-marathon*.

The plan: Run in the evenings after work and on weekends, at least 4 times per week. Additionally, I'll strength train at least once per week. I might have a separate month dedicated to food, but in order to accomplish January's theme, I'll have to work on my diet as well. I'm going to try being a weekday vegetarian to increase my fruit, vegetable, and whole grain intake.

The goal: By the end of the month, be able to run 5 miles and lose some fat.

Share your thoughts: What does fitness mean to you? What types of physical activities do you enjoy most?


*I'm running a half on April 1! No foolin'.  

3 comments:

Laura said...

I posted my new year's resolutions on my blog yesterday so I'm committed now. Exercise is going to be a big one for me, especially running. Half-marathon in April!

Have you heard of or read "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin? I was intrigued by it, especially that she took on a new set of resolutions each month.

Domestic Kate said...

I haven't read "The Happiness Project," although it does sound familiar. I'll have to check it out. I like monthly resolutions!

David said...

Sounds like you're going to be a bad ass. Rock on.