Monday, June 18, 2012

8 Things I'd Like to Buy for You

There are some products/services that are so great that I'd like to share them with the world. Normally, I'm all "To each her own," but, damn it, there are some things that I think should come standard with every household because they're good for everyone (but, you know, to each her own). 

1. Some kind of vertical garden apparatus. Like this. That one was an early birthday present, thanks to Mom and Dad. People are making vertical gardens from old wooden pallets and shoe organizers. I just can't get over how happy the concept of vertical gardening makes me--I'll let you know how my own adventures turn out. 

2. Massages. Yes, it takes time to find a massage therapist or a type of massage that works for you, and maybe you don't even need to seek out a professional, but caring, human touch is therapeutic. Everyone deserves a good rub down, even if it's only a foot massage or a hand massage (hand massages are awesome, especially for someone who knits and grades papers). I have a membership to Massage Envy, and it's quite affordable and totally worth it. 

3. Chalkboard paint. I am obsessed with it. I can't paint because I live in a rented apartment, but someday ... In the meantime, I want everyone else to be using it. 

4. Reusable shopping bags and produce bags. Here's a tip for all of you who say, "I always forget to bring them with me." Buy some that fold up so you can keep them in your purse or glove compartment. You just have to commit to it, friends. But once you do, you'll never go back.

5. A Trader Joe's store (for those who don't have one nearby). Not just the products--oh no. I'm talking the entire store. It's more than the sum of its parts. It's not flawless, but it's pretty close. I love that I can't get lost staring at half a dozen varieties of red kidney beans. They have one kind, and it's good quality. That pretty much describes the entire store. If I can't buy the entire store, I'll at least buy everyone a box of their rosemary and raisin crackers. 

6. Netflix. You mean you don't have Netflix? Netflix isn't as cool as it used to be, but it's still great, and it's an inexpensive alternative to cable TV if you're thinking of giving that up.

7. Minimalist shoes. I'd like for everyone to at least give them a try. By the way, I get tons of compliments on my New Balance Minimus cross trainers, and I've had someone in my Zumba class buy a pair after seeing mine.

8. A memory foam mattress. I was skeptical about how great a Tempur-Pedic could be, but it really lives up to the hype. No back pain, and I did fall asleep quickly, which is something I've always had problems with. I didn't keep the Tempur-Pedic in the divorce, but I bought an inexpensive Serta memory foam mattress from Overstock.com, and it's still a great mattress.

It's your turn now. What are some really great products or services that you'd like to share with the world?


2 comments:

ruthieo said...

Great list, Katie! I have to add one thing: A CSA membership. You've mentioned CSA's before on this blog. They are a great way to support local, organic farms, and the new produce forces me to experiment with new veggies and fruits!

Domestic Kate said...

You could buy me a CSA membership! I keep thinking I should sign up for one, but I'm afraid that I'll end up with a lot of food going bad before I have a chance to eat it.