Saturday, June 2, 2012

Gleaning

Sexiest woman alive right here. 
Ag Against Hunger, an organization that works to connect our  local agriculture industry with food assistance programs, organizes vegetable gleaning events in which volunteers go out to a designated field to harvest produce. These vegetables are either donated by the farm or would otherwise be left in the field to be tilled back in to the soil. This morning I participated in gleaning romaine lettuce at Boggiatto Produce.

Although getting up at 7:00 on a Saturday doesn't sound like much fun, I'm so glad I did it.

The day started out pretty chilly, which was nice once we got to work. I made a friend who turned out to be a fellow knitter, and she explained that she was there so she could see up close where our food comes from. A little boy whose family was working near us asked why they were doing this--the parents replied, "So you can see the work that goes into the food that we eat." How great is that? I actually forgot at times that we were doing this to help support our local food banks because it was fun and definitely a learning experience, but I estimate that my friend and I (with a little help from one of the farm workers) gleaned about 75 hearts of romaine that will be on people's plates next week. 
Green salad with quinoa. 

But who needs to wait until next week? One of the perks was being able to take home some of the lettuce. We were instructed to be choosy  about the lettuce we were putting in the crates, but I felt bad tossing away the lettuce with a little rust-colored spotting. I started making a reject pile, and those are the ones I brought home with me. I have a feeling I'll be eating a lot of salad in the coming days.

3 comments:

Laura said...

It sounds like a gleaning party! Glad you had fun and got to take some lettuce home too. Adding quinoa to a sald looks like a good idea.

Domestic Kate said...

I love quinoa! Although, it's deceptively filling...after the fact.

Laura said...

I love it too, but I'd never thought to put it on a salad (not sald as I wrote above, haha).