Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Recipe Pho You

There's a great little Vietnamese restaurant that my friend introduced me to about a year ago, and I've been hooked ever since. I had not, in fact, eaten Vietnamese food before that day, and I did not know what I was missing. It's great! We have since discovered a vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant that is now known as The Best Restaurant Ever. 

Anyway, as an almost-vegetarian, I really like vegetarian pho. I finally decided to try making it a little while back. I started with this recipe, and then simplified it, considering the ingredients I'm likely to have on hand and the energy level I'm likely to have to have on hand as well.

Vegetarian Pho
Basically, I sauté some onion and garlic for a few minutes along with tofu if I have it. Then I add about equal parts vegetable broth and water, then the soy sauce, anise, coriander, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. Then I add whatever vegetables I have handy and some kind of Asian noodles. If I don't have any noodles on hand, I'll put quinoa in (which probably isn't Vietnamese but is healthy and filling). If I actually plan to make this soup, then I'll have lime juice, basil, and jalapeños as garnishes, but it's still good without the garnishes if I'm in a hurry. It's customizable for your taste. What I think makes it pho is the flavor of the broth. 

Enjoy!

No comments: