Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Confession: I'm not that tidy

My tidiness has come up in multiple conversations lately, and I feel I must come clean (pun intended). Some people visit my apartment and think that I am a very neat person. One of my friends asked how I do it--do I have some magical Ikea storage unit that hides everything away? Do I clean up every day? Absolutely not. 

The truth is that I really don't keep much stuff, so there isn't much to leave lying around. I love to take my shoes off as soon as I get home, and I hate putting them away. You know, because the closet is so far away.  I leave odds and ends on my dining room table. I leave half-finished projects wherever I was last working on them. I leave dirty dishes in the sink for a day. Maybe two. Sound familiar? I promise, I'm terrible at picking up after myself. It's just that I don't have that many pairs of shoes or dishes, so even if I left all of them lying around, it wouldn't create a huge mess. Get the idea? 

This is also why it doesn't bother me too much when I visit a place that's cluttered. My lack of clutter is not a cleanliness compulsion like it is for others. Clutter doesn't make me anxious, but I prefer a neat space and I prefer not to have to work very hard to keep it that way. 

So, that's it. If you want your space to feel uncluttered but don't want to spend your valuable time tidying up all the time, then make sure you don't have much to tidy up. 

4 comments:

ruthieo said...

Hahahahahaha! I feel like you wrote this post for me and Ryan. I told him that he made an appearance in your blog (I believe he is the one who asked about a magical Ikea apparatus). He smiled.

Domestic Kate said...

Yep, that came from him :) But my tidiness also came up in a conversation between Eduardo and some Zumba friends.

Laura said...

De-cluttering is an ongoing process at my house. Sometimes we have to do the shakedown (stole that term from another blogger) and clean up quickly before guests arrive. When that happens I recommend not opening the closet door. :)

Domestic Kate said...

Nice. I once had to do a toddler shakedown when a friend visited with her son. My closet was full of all kinds of kid-unfriendly things that day. Generally if I know someone's coming, I'll plan to spend an hour cleaning.