Thursday, December 20, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

First, how did I do this year? 

✔ Run a half-marathon. 

✔ Eat healthier and more economically. Mostly, yes. I resolved to eat more vegetables, which I have since becoming a weekday vegetarian, but I still need to work on my sugar intake.


✔ Increase flexibility and strength. And people keep telling me I look like I've lost weight!

✘ Find a suitable dwelling. Sadly, no. I continue looking, but it's probably not going to happen for a while. 

✔ Knit more. 

✘ Read more! Not really. 

 Take more risks. I think quitting a good full-time job to go back to juggling part-time work was kind of risky. The bf moved in with me. And I've recently decided to invest in myself a bit by taking classes that might not immediately pay off. 


Considering I kind of forgot what my resolutions were soon after I wrote them, I did spectacularly well. It goes to show you that change starts with really wanting it. The question is: what do I want for the upcoming year? 
  1. Increase my annual income by $8,000. Yeah, I said it. I know. But what I'm really saying is that I'm challenging myself to earn a more comfortable income while staying committed to enjoyable work and plenty of leisure time. It works out to $600-$700 per month more. I have some prospects--stay tuned!
  2. Learn to sew.
  3. Make better use of mornings. I've always liked the idea of enjoying the peace and quiet of early mornings. I envy people who get up earlier than necessary and get stuff done before the world wakes up. Currently, I wake up about 15-30 minutes early, mostly so I can check Facebook and drink hot chocolate before getting ready to go to work. I'd like to aim a little higher than that. I'd like early morning to be my time to read, write, tidy up, or maybe even exercise. Of course, to make this work, I'll probably need to get better at taking naps. The good news is that when my cat starts crying at 5 a.m., I'll probably stop throwing my pillow at her.
  4. Take more photos. 
I'm keeping the list fairly short this year. What can I say? Short is the new long, and some of these could turn into hefty undertakings. 

No comments: