Tuesday, January 8, 2013

8 Quick Knits for Beginners and Short Attention Spans

I know I've been talking a lot about knitting lately. I go through phases. Running, knitting, etc. Hopefully sewing will be next!

I'm an impatient knitter. I don't knit very quickly, and until recently, I never set aside much time to knit, so long projects turned me off. I like small, simple projects that only take a few hours, but I do like to challenge myself with different stitches and techniques here and there. If my eyes have to be glued to a pattern the entire time, though, I'm probably going to lose interest.

Linen Stitch Cowl
Here are some projects I'd recommend if you're a beginner or someone like me who just likes to keep it basic:

1. Cowls. If you knit them in the round, they're like hats without the decreases, and if you knit them flat, they're like scarves that take a fraction of the time.

2. Bracelet covers. I haven't made these yet, but they're on my to-do list. It's a good way to use up leftover scraps too.

3. Gadget covers, like for your digital reader, cell phone, camera, or tablet.

4. Baby items (bibs, hats, etc.). Because they're small. Duh. But even blankets can be quick projects. Crib blankets are large, but the blanket I knitted recently is intended to be used in a stroller or carseat so it's pretty small.

5. Dishcloths/Washcloths. These make excellent housewarming gifts or going-away-to-college gifts.

6. Boot toppers. Another on my to-do list.

7. Mug cozies. These are good to knit for men because they're not girly, and sometimes men with big hands have a difficult time holding cups with small handles. 

8. Headbands/ear warmers. Even smaller than a cowl! 

All of these projects give you the opportunity to practice new stitches and techniques, experiment with color, and use up leftover yarn. There are also other ways to keep bigger projects quick and easy like by using a repetitive, easy-to-memorize pattern or by using bulky yarn with large needles.

What are your favorite quick knits? 

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for these ideas. I see a cowl knitted in the round in my future.

Domestic Kate said...

Cowls are my new favorite thing to knit. They're so quick and warm. I was inspired by this blogger, who knit a really fun, chunky cowl recently that I adore: http://jesuisunemonstre.blogspot.fr/2012/10/hoop-la-scarves-autumn-2012.html

Laura said...

I love the colors in that cowl!