A few of these are rules I try to live by (but struggle to follow sometimes), but most days, I live like this without giving it too much thought. What are your life rules?
1. Be nice. People like nice people, and I don't underestimate the importance of likability. I don't have to be nice every second of every day, but whatever I do, I usually start with being nice.
|The Rules by chrispwalsh, Flickr|
2. Work hard. I like to keep busy and make an effort. If I'm going to do something, I dislike half-assing it (I'd rather just not ass it at all). Also, people usually like hard workers.
3. Clean up. I don't leave things in worse shape than before I arrived.
4. The show must go on. And it does go on. Life doesn't stop when I'm sad or angry; unpleasant things aren't detours. They're all part of the same journey.
6. Things should be colorful.
|Rule 18 by Chris Blakeley, Flickr|
8. Expect to be treated the way I treat others. If I go into a situation angry, then guess what--people will get angry with me in return. Sometimes that's okay and sometimes it isn't, but I have to expect it. If I make an effort to be nice and work hard for the benefit of others, I do expect people to do the same for me. If they can't or won't, they don't have a place in my life.