If nothing else, teaching has taught me a whole lot.
1. Manners matter. You know, the basics: Don't look at your cell phone when someone is talking to you. Don't sleep when they're talking to you either. If you send an email to someone you don't know very well, begin with a hello.
2. It's okay to make a fool of yourself in front of people. In fact, they usually like you more afterwards.
3. Everyone has a story. This is both heartwarming and humbling at the same time.
4. You never know who you'll inspire, and you might not ever know you inspired anybody at all. But others are paying attention.
5. Your attention and caring is one of the best gifts you can give someone.
6. There are tons of kids slipping through the cracks every day. I am one of the lucky ones.
7. Two topics guaranteed to get people talking: sex and curse words
8. Reading has to be the best thing you can do for your brain. Do it.