Monday, March 18, 2013

8 Things I Dread

I'm the world's worst (or is it best?) procrastinator when I want to be. People often remark about how much I do, but I feel like there's so much I don't do on a regular basis. Here are some tasks that I will put off to the point of ridiculousness.

1. Grading papers. There are just so many of them. Grading all the papers from one class can often take several hours, and sometimes I have more than one class's papers to grade at a time. They're sometimes pleasant to read, but reading and evaluating each essay sucks the life out of me.

2. Washing dishes. I don't think this needs explanation. Ugh. 

3. Putting things away. I try not to have a lot of stuff, mostly for this reason.  What I do have, I like to have lying around because I can't be bothered to, say, take my shoes all the way to the next room to put them in my closet.

4. Organizing paperwork and mail. Having to read something, decide what to do with it, and then do whatever needs to be done with it is annoying. And I loathe the paper that I don't want to keep but feel I should for record-keeping purposes that adults are supposed to care about. I hate even checking my mail for this reason. 

5. Doing all the things (language borrowed from this). I have a real problem finishing things. For example, I'll fold and put away the laundry when it's done, but I'll leave things like socks and underwear to deal with later. I will do it but not now. When I have grading marathons, I'll leave 3-5 papers for the next day. Putting groceries away, same. Dishes, same. Seriously, what's up with this?*

6. Organizing the Zumba CDs and DVDs that I get in the mail. It's annoying because I don't even use most the stuff they send, but I feel obligated to keep them. And if I keep them, I want them to be neat. It just feels like so much effort to organize something I don't even care about!

7. Checking work email. I don't particularly like the various email services I use for the two colleges I work for. They're not the most user-friendly, and I usually have dozens of crap emails and maybe one email from a student or a boss that actually needs my attention.

8. Making appointments. Oh, how I hate to make an appointment over the phone. I wanted to go to the dentist in January, and it still hasn't happened. It's not because I don't like the dentist; it's because I don't like calling to make appointments. I love it when they ask me if I'd like to schedule my next appointment while I'm still in the office--no way out!

What about you? What do you put off?

*I'm not joking: I sat down to write this post and wrote seven items. When I got to eight, I stopped and did something else. There has to be a name for this condition.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm so with you on both the socks and the dishes. In fact, with the dishes, since I have two sides to the sink I wash enough to fill up the drying thing I have on one side and then I'm done. Still dishes left? Oh well. They have to wait until the others are dry and put away - a day or two from now.

Laura said...

I'm the opposite with appointments. At the dentist office they always set up the next appointment and ask if some date six months from now will work. Heck if I know. I always say yes, and then I have to change it if something comes up.

I loathe dusting. Also cleaning the sinks. I like things to be clean, but with the sink as soon as you run the water all the work is undone.

Domestic Kate said...

Laura, I know what you mean about appointments, but having to cancel/reschedule an appointment is somehow easier than making a new one on the phone. I can't explain it.

Debbie, I'm glad I'm not alone!