Friday, March 8, 2013

8 Things I'm Thankful for Right Now

I'm experiencing some stressful events in my life right now; at the same time, I feel it's important that I stay in good spirits to keep these temporary issues from getting worse. The other night, I was in such a foul mood, and I watched the Shawn Achor TED Talk (below) and felt I needed to take some time to recognize the good things in my life. At the time, I literally couldn't get into a positive mood, and frankly that scared me a little. So, I'm going to try to be more thankful and focus on the good stuff in life. 

1. My boyfriend is a good man. There's nothing better than having love in your life. I'm grateful for being with someone who loves me for being myself, someone who doesn't hope I'll one day turn into somebody else, someone who thinks the worst parts of me aren't so bad.

2. I'm employed, and I get to work with a diverse group of people who teach me things every day.

3. My mom is going in for surgery next week, which will hopefully get her on track for being in a lot less pain and greater mobility.

4. Several of my friends are having babies. I'm thankful that these kids are being born to great people and will be given lots of love.

5. Massages. 90-minute massages with my favorite therapist to be exact. I don't splurge on much, but this is something that's totally worth it.

6. My apartment complex maintenance crew did not shut off the water all day Thursday (as they informed us they would), which meant that I got to shower after my morning Zumba class before teaching at the college all day.

7. And although my apartment complex management did decide to the close the stairs that I use (and that lots of us here in this neighborhood use) to walk to the college, the college picked up the slack by opening another gate by the track so we can still get in without having to go too much out of the way. 

8. When I decided to have a cell phone again (yep, I did it), I was able to keep my home phone number and transfer it to the cell, making the transition seamless. It took a bit of finagling, but it was nearly hassle-free. I now pay $25/month for a pay-as-you-go phone that's easy to use with no bells and whistles. Let the not-keeping-it-charged, not-keeping-the-ringer-on, and not-keeping-it-with-me begin! 

Okay, I feel better already. What are you grateful for these days? What do you do stay in a good mood? 

4 comments:

Catherine Particini said...

One of my teachers says that gratitude-oriented thinking is the highest form of thinking for humans. It takes us out of the past (what should/should not have been) and future (worry, anticipation, projection) and puts us into the present moment. By identifying things for which we are grateful, we are automatically and gently forced to acknowledge "what is". I love this! Thank you for sharing this! xoxo

Bearette said...

My babies! And good books and food.

rockygrace said...

I am grateful that Spring is here. Or, almost here.

To stay in a good mood? Hmmm ... I guess I think about the fun stuff coming up in my schedule.

Laura said...

If I'm in a foul mood and it's sunny outside I can usually cheer myself up by going outside for a few minutes. Warm sunshine on my face always lifts my spirits. If that's not an option, I reach for something silly and slapstick. Generally that means watching the trailer for the movie Horrible Bosses. The last bit about drag racing in a Prius always makes me smile.