Sunday, March 17, 2013

Making Better Use of My Mornings

Moomies high-stepping morning routine
by Meigs O'Toole, Flickr
One of my New Year's resolutions was to make better use of mornings. I didn't necessarily mean that I needed to get up very early--only that I wanted to do more stuff soon after waking up in the morning.

Considering that my teaching schedule is primarily an afternoon/evening schedule, this resolution wasn't looking good right out of the gate, but surprisingly, I've been holding up.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I have a yoga class at 8 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays I also have a Zumba class right after yoga (in the same room in fact).

Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have a Zumba class at 10 a.m., and I teach my first class of the day at the college at 12:30 p.m. That means, although 10 a.m. isn't very early, I'm usually up around 7 a.m. to get ready for my class.

Weekends? Eh. Not so much. But 5 out of 7 ain't bad.


Pros: Getting exercise in early. I like that I don't have to shower twice a day every day because one late-morning shower does the trick most days. Because of the addition of my morning classes, I now get a minimum of 8 hours of structured physical activity each week. That's pretty cool, and I have to say that although my waistline has yet to show it, I feel great.

Cons: I have some seriously long days. My weekends are pretty much one long date with my couch. I usually have to put in 12-hour days three of my weekdays. It's a vicious cycle: I'm too tired from my work week to work on the weekends, but because I don't work on the weekends, I end up putting in long days during the week. 

On another routine-related note, I've been wanting to add swimming into my weekly routine (because 8 hours of exercise isn't enough?). My gym has a pool, and it's so close there's no reason not to. I've gone twice recently, and I've enjoyed in immensely. I can take a dip in the hot tub too. I have lots of my plate right now, but I think I can handle swimming once a week.

What's your routine like these days? What are your mornings like?

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love the crisp, newness of mornings, but the evidence suggests that I'm a dyed in the wool night owl. I seem to get more done at night because I feel more awake (to a certain point). I think your mornings sound wonderful and I'd like to get my exercise in the morning too.

Domestic Kate said...

Someone in my yoga class said Friday, "I like mornings. I just don't want to have to get up and do things early in the morning." I think that's true for a lot of us. Morning is a pretty time of day, so full of potential, but that doesn't mean we all have energy that early.