Monday, July 8, 2013

8 Good Things






1. Peaches, nectarines, and pluots from the farmers market! I heart summer.

2. A totally unsolicited pun at the store: A woman is perusing the almond flour cookbook, trying to get her husband interested in it. She flips the book open to a photo and says to him, "Look at all the things you can make with almond flour. It's nuts!"

3. Quinoa. I got out of the habit of eating it until recently when I made a couple dishes. It's so versatile. I mix it up with some fruit and maple syrup for breakfast or I mix it with vegetables and treat it like a salad.

4. Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. It's not really a book--more like a short manual for being creative. So much of what he says is right up my alley. One tidbit: "Make something." As in, get off the couch, away from the screen, and make things with your hands. Hence the t-shirt project in my last post. I've been spending too much of my off-time idle or in front of a computer screen, and this book has reminded me how happy it makes me to create something.

5. Hot baths. I enjoy them anyway, but they also seem to be the only thing that relieves my plantar fasciitis.

6. My summer class. They're rockstars. As I've done with a couple other classes, we have a class blog, which is usually a little bit of a diaster as everyone figures out how to use it. Contrary to popular belief, college students are not all digital natives. Anyway, since the summer class is only 6 weeks long, it's a challenge to get everyone on board quickly, but this class has taken to it pretty well. Just a few bumps and bruises along the way. I even got them to post photos!

7. My future fall class. I've decided to use creativity (or divergent thinking if you want to get all academic) as our course theme, and I'm looking forward to the things we can do as participant observers. I've never planned a class this far in advance. I think I'm going to divide the class into three units: creativity in learning, creativity at work, and living a creative life. Reading Austin Kleon's book is just the beginning!

8. A potential move on the horizon, and I don't just mean to a different apartment. I'm excited! And I'd just like to say that I'm really happy that my fiance and I are able to talk about and plan our future together. For the first time, I feel like I have a true partner.


4 comments:

Mom said...

Having a notion that you want to relocate and having a partner so easily get on board is a far far cry from the way your life was before. And you are choosing a place based on where you'd like to live. That sounds like heaven.

Domestic Kate said...

It is far different from how I lived before, but my experience aside, a lot people live some version of that life where one person's job or emotional needs always come first. I suppose it works okay for some people but not for me.

Laura said...

I love it when things are punny! I checked and can happily report that my library has copies of Steal Like an Artist so I'm going to add it to my list. And last, but not least, you've got me intrigued by your potential move. I'm excited to hear more.

Domestic Kate said...

Steal Like an Artist would be an excellent library book--as in, not something that's vital for you to have around permanently. I'll be updating everyone on the next chapter of my life soon!