Thursday, August 8, 2013

8 Good Things





1. Knitting lots! I finished up two cowls. One is a linen stitch (stash-busting) cowl and the other was a simple pattern made with yarn I got from a yarn swap with my knitting group a couple weeks ago. I'm also just about finished with a chunky scarf that's also made with yarn I got for free from friends and from the swap. Free yarn is awesome! Now it's time to get started on my sister's felted bag with all that green yarn. 

2. My friends making it safely to Maryland a few days ago. I'm happy their cross-country road trip went smoothly. Now I'm working on a housewarming gift for them. 

3. Ginger tea drink. I add hot water to some ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and a slice of lemon and honey for a hot drink that soothes and heals. It's officially "summer" in Monterey, which means it's chilly except between the hours of 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. when the sun decides to come out for a bit. 

4. Making friends with the couple I buy peaches and nectarines from at the farmers market. They're pleasant but quiet, unlike the pushy people at a competing stand, and I think their produce lasts longer, so I always go to them. I guess they've noticed. On Sunday, the woman eagerly greeted me and asked if I spoke Spanish. We proceeded to have an awkward, choppy conversation about my age and marital status, my side job at the nut store, and the history of Mexico. 

5. This awesome knotted neck thing. I haven't made it, but it's on my list!

6. Good samaritans. While carting a bunch of boxes of nuts from the stockroom to the store today, I dumped a couple boxes into the street smack dab in the middle of a busy intersection. Three people came to help me and save me from even greater embarrassment. 

7. Homemade pita chips. The photo above is before they baked (I hope that's obvious). They didn't last long after that.

8. My new jeans. I broke down and bought my first skinny jeans. People say I look cute in them. So be it. I haven't bought much clothing for myself in the past several months, so this was a little treat. 

3 comments:

Mom said...

How did you make the chips? I couldn't figure out what they were in that uncooked state.

ruthieo said...

You are such a talented knitter! I totally regret not having you teach me while I was in Monterey. *kicks self*

Domestic Kate said...

Mom, I posted directions when I made them for the first time: http://kate-simply.blogspot.com/search?q=pita I pretty much did the same thing. I made these ones with cinnamon and sugar and let them cook a little longer to get crispier.

Ruth, thankfully, the internet is full of tutorials. It's not too late to learn!