Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Potato Leek Soup with Mushrooms


I made a variation of a potato leek soup this week that turned out really well. It was really easy. It's not much to look at--just kind of a brownish stew actually--but I thought the flavor was excellent. And I only used food that was already in-house, which is a big plus.

Olive oil 
2 garlic cloves (sliced or minced)
2 leeks (just the tube part at the bottom), sliced
4 mushrooms (I used a mix of white and brown), sliced
chicken or vegetable broth
3-4 red potatoes 

  • Saute the garlic, leeks, and mushrooms together in olive oil over medium heat until everything is tender and smells delicious. Add a little salt and pepper if you'd like at this point.
  • Add in as much broth as you want--I used about equal parts water and chicken broth. 
  • While the broth is heating to boil, cut up your potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes break easily. 
  • You can blend some of the soup to make it creamier or leave it as is. 
  • I left my soup without any additional herbs or spices, but it would be good with parsley, thyme, sage, red pepper flakes, or jalapeƱo. The leeks and mushrooms will give it quite a bit of flavor by themselves.
  • Enjoy! 

No comments: