Saturday, November 2, 2013

Gratitude to Begin the Month

Our first dance looked something like this. 

I'm not even sure where to start. I think I'll start where everyone should start: by being grateful.

Nearly one week ago, I married my sweetheart in front of 90 dear friends and family. There isn't another word to describe what I'm about to say, and I don't use this word often or lightly, but I truly feel blessed. How else can I describe something that makes me happier than I've ever been, something that is more deliberate than luck, but not something I could ever have planned or expected? 

I shared this sentiment with my friend who flew back to Monterey from the east coast for one day to attend my wedding. She reminded me that it was because of who we are, our kindness, and the joy we bring to others that there were all these people not just coming to the wedding but offering to help and expressing such heartfelt congratulations. In other words, we've earned this attention, although I can't see that for myself. 

I'm grateful I got to spend time with my family and friends, to experience the whirlwind that is my 6-year-old nephew, to meet in-laws, to do Zumba with everybody, to partake in Mexican wedding traditions, and to eat lots of cake. 

I'm also grateful for all the distant friends and family who've shown their support. Most of my in-laws, who've only seen me on Skype and who don't speak much English have long ago accepted me into the family. My students have all expressed their congratulations as well as curiosity. And I can't even begin to count how many Facebook likes and comments I've gotten in the past couple weeks! 

Lastly, of course, I'm grateful that I've found someone so kind-hearted, sincere, and understanding. We had the perfect day to kick off our life together. 

October was a beautiful month. 

6 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations, Kate! You deserve so much happiness and I'm glad you had such a wonderful time.

Also, I'm selfishly grateful you are blogging again. I know I haven't been at all, but I've been checking lately to see if you had posted anything.

Congrats again. I love the first dance picture!

Domestic Kate said...

I'm happy you're selfishly grateful! It was a relief to take a break, but I kept thinking about blogging.

Laura said...

I forgot to mention that I love your blog subtitle: "Living a joyful, empowered life." That's wonderful!

ruthieo said...

It was such a lovely wedding, Kate! I had a blast. It was the first time I had ever cried at a wedding other than my own. Your personalities really shined through! And the dancing... Oh wow! The dancing. I had so much fun celebrating your and Eduardo's love and partnership. I feel blessed to be a part of your lives. :)

Domestic Kate said...

I'm oddly pleased when people tell me they cried at my wedding. It's like, "Yes! I am in a real relationship with feelings!" I'm weird. And I'm so happy that you felt our personalities came through. It was kind of miraculous the way that everyone contributed yet it still felt like it was all about us.

And I can't say enough about how much it meant to me that you were here for it all. I can't imagine what the day would have been like without you!

rockygrace said...

Congratulations!