Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Story Time: The Professor and the Asshole

The Nutty Professor, by Skley, Flickr

When I was an undergrad, I had a professor who was kind of a jerk--or he pretended to be a jerk anyway. I think he wanted the reputation so that students would work hard and not give him lame excuses, but once you got to know him, he was a good guy. 

At the end of the semester, when it came time for students to evaluate him, he would explain the directions and leave the room as required. We'd work on the surveys in silence for about ten seconds when our professor would stick his head back in and say, "By the way, asshole is one word, not two." 

He was also known for such gems as, "I never understood war. You have to kill someone you don't even know. If I'm going to kill someone, it's going to be someone I know." He once uttered this while co-teaching with his wife. By the look on her face, she had not heard him say this before. 

And his best advice: "When someone gives me a responsibility, I mess it up. That way, they don't ask me to do anything else."

2 comments:

rockygrace said...

Oh, that last one is a time-tested Man Thing. They've learned that if they muck up a chore (washing the dishes, doing the laundry, taking out the garbage) often enough, the womenfolk will stop asking them to do it.

Crafty b*st*rds.

Domestic Kate said...

Yes, that's the secret. Why do something when someone else can do it for you?