Monday, April 28, 2014

Just One Really Good Thing

Normally, I'd be giving you all a list of good things in my life right now, but I'm going to skip the list this time because I got some great news Friday night.

Starting this fall, I'll be a full-time lecturer at CSU Stanislaus.

It's funny because really, this job is a very reasonable next step in my career. It's not a huge step. But it is. And I'm kind of freaking out about it.

For one, I'm surprised and thrilled at the opportunity. Full-time teaching jobs are hard to come by. Even though I've worked hard, I also know I got lucky. 

Two, it's a university! Since teaching at community colleges, I've come to value them and the students there. I pictured myself always working at one. This university is still quite small, but they have graduate students! And dorms! I'm a little bit intimidated, which makes me realize that I'm too comfortable where I am. 

Three, we're moving! This is the first time I've moved for my job. It'll be the first time, despite all the moves I've made, that I haven't found myself in a brand new city being totally disoriented, saying, "Now what?" For most people, what I'm doing is probably pretty normal (moving a couple hours away for a job), but this is a novelty for me.

I think we're going to enjoy it out there. It'll give my husband the opportunity to go to school if he wants to, and I'm looking forward to a much lower cost of living. It'll be a lot of work, but in reality, it's not more than what I've been putting myself through the last couple years, and this time, I hope we'll be building something instead of just staying afloat. 

As always, thanks for reading, you guys. I've had tunnel vision the past several months. Job hunting does that. Maybe now I can think about knitting and cooking again. I'm also feeling such gratitude right now for all the people who've inspired and challenged me along the way. Just thank you. 

3 comments:

rockygrace said...

Congratulations!

Laura said...

Congratulations, Kate! I'm so happy for you.

Domestic Kate said...

Thanks, you guys!