Sunday, May 18, 2014

8 Good Things




1. What's it like to be a writer? Glamorous to say the least. With a generous helping of the f-word.


3. Making dishwashing detergent for the first time with this recipe without borax. I have yet to try it, but it seems legit. I'm also switching to a borax-free laundry detergent recipe. It's pretty painless to make these detergents. I appreciate the cost savings, and there's something fun about being like, "Well, we're low on detergent. Guess I'd better make some."  

4. Finishing my two-tone cotton cowl. I'm now in the process of making a monster cozy for my digital reader. Also, the woman in my knitting group who lives in Pebble Beach invited us to meet at her place again last week, which was a real treat anyway, but she also had tons of yarn to give away and sell, so no one left empty-handed (because more yarn is exactly what I need a couple months before I move). For a total of $25, I walked away with all the yarn in the photo above. 

5. Peaches! Oh, how I've missed peaches. I got to see my friend who works at the fruit stand, whom I haven't seen since October. I also went to a vegetable stand and saw heads of cauliflower that were probably bigger than a human head. On a related note, even though I don't really think of myself as a Californian (yet), I'm happy that my move won't take me out of the state. I was kind of sad thinking about leaving peach country. 

6. La Guelaguetza in Santa Cruz. It's a festival from Oaxaca, Mexico. I got to see the baile folkl√≥rico in person for the first time. It was a beautiful, but kind of hot, day (read: sunburn). I bought overpriced things, including the red shirt above (the woman in black behind me wanted to know where I got it). 

7. Cooking more and trying harder to use up what we already have. I made some asparagus soup from the Happy Herbivore meal plan (I signed up for a short time last year). Asparagus soup sounded bitter and gross, but it turned out pretty mild and tasty. I've also rediscovered how much I like spinach. 

8. Finding a book at the public library that I thought I was going to have to pay full price for to get on my reader. It's Daily Rituals: How Artists Work. The only thing better than discounted books is free books!

No comments: