Sunday, December 21, 2014

My Word for 2015: Rhythm

Normally, I take this opportunity to check in with this past year's resolutions, but, as I acknowledged when I wrote them, I made some changes in 2014 that threw me off.

I set out in 2014 to focus on my daily habits, the process of doing whatever I put my mind to. The idea was that whatever came my way--a new job, a move, or neither of those things--little moments of joy, progress, or accomplishment would see me through. But in reality, I was just keeping my head above water. The first 4-5 months of the year, I was job hunting and depressed and anxious about that. The summer was a whirlwind of preparing to move, saying goodbye to friends, and wondering what was in store. And these past few months have just been exhausting. I don't feel like I had many opportunities to sit back and enjoy my own life this year.

I don't want a repeat of a year like that. Inspired by Susannah Conway and One Word 365, my word for 2015 is rhythm.

Rhythm, to me, is primarily about the senses and what feels right. I want to pay more attention to how I'm feeling and act on whatever I believe will help me feel better. Rhythm is also about consistency, patterns, and measures. In other words, I want to develop a better sense of timing and stick to the routines and habits that work best. I want my days and weeks to have a rhythm to them, and I want to measure out my time better so I can fit everything in without being a train wreck.

In addition to planning ahead better (something I always need work on), I have some ideas for developing a better rhythm to get me started early in the year:
  • grade 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week
  • go to the gym 3 times a week
  • 15-minute yoga sessions
  • read/write before bed
  • early morning productivity
My needs very well might change throughout the year; I just hope to adapt to those rhythms instead of falling apart (which is what I usually do when my routines change). 

I also have some ideas for new approaches to old things like keeping a journal and lesson planning for my classes. If I want to know what works best and what feels right for me, I have to try something new once in a while, right? Plus, it's fun. 

Here's to feeling good and accomplishing a ton in 2015. Happy New Year, all. 

No comments: