Sunday, March 8, 2015

8 Good Things







1. Homemade pickles. I had no idea they were this easy (although I think there are far more complicated ways to do it). I've been making mine with just a dollop of dijon mustard instead of the mustard seed, coriander, and celery seed. My favorite vegetables to use are cucumbers, carrots, cauliflower, and a few slices of jalapeño.

2. Lots of eating at home + shopping at Grocery Outlet. We've cut way back on our food expenses these past couple months; it helps that we're both home for dinner time now. We've been doing most of our food shopping at Grocery Outlet because their prices do seem significantly cheaper, they're hardly ever busy, and they generally carry our staple items.

3. House of Cards. Do I need to say anything else?

4. Trees in bloom. I don't know if spring is coming early here or if the warm weather we've had is normal, but it's pretty nonetheless.

5. A fun Zumba class at the local gym. I haven't been to a Zumba class since we moved because my foot needed a rest, and I was kind of over it. But we found an instructor we like, and it's brought back a lot of good memories. I've also been going to an interval class one morning a week. It feels good to exercise regularly again.

6. Introducing students to CSA. I wish I could convey in a short paragraph how happy that makes me. Every time it comes up (somehow, it just does), students are fascinated, and this time around, 2-3 of them have said they're looking into joining one. I think they like that it's an action they can take, not just an idea to write about. And on that note, I'm thinking of signing us up for one now that spring's just about here. 

7. Offbeat alphabet books. I'm tempted to buy some of these for myself, even though I'm quite sure they're supposed to be for children. I'm actually thinking they'd make a cute final project for an ESL class. 

8. Visiting Sonora + other little getaways. Before we moved, I had hoped for us to take day or weekend trips about once a month. So far, we've succeeded without necessarily trying. I think short trips that don't have the stress of planning a lot of details are great for maintaining a healthy relationship. I always feel closer to my husband after one of our little trips. While in Sonora, we stumbled upon a used bookstore, and although we split up to look at different things, we both coincidentally grabbed books about the Caribbean. 

No comments: