Monday, March 16, 2015

Potato Lentil Soup


I make this recipe almost weekly because I can make it with items I always have in stock: dry lentils, potatoes, and canned diced tomatoes. Everything else is fluff, so even when I plan to make something else, I end up making this because it requires very little thinking and no impromptu trips to the grocery store.

My kind of cooking.

Oh, and let's be honest: I know red lentils when I see them, but I have no idea if I've been buying brown or green ones. They look brownish green. They're the kind that I see most commonly in regular grocery stores.

1-2 Tbl olive oil
about 1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
enough water/vegetable broth to cover ingredients
about 3 medium-sized potatoes (I like red potatoes best for all things)
about 1 fistful of dry lentils (they'll expand a little, so don't go too crazy)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground chili powder
a couple dashes of ground coriander
salt and pepper to taste

options: sliced jalapeño, frozen corn, chopped zucchini, black beans

Directions:
  1. Sauté the onion, garlic, and celery together in some olive oil for a few minutes.
  2. Add in the diced tomatoes. Fill up the can with water and add that.
  3. Add in the remaining ingredients and additional broth/water as needed to cover the ingredients to your desired soupiness.
  4. Simmer until the potatoes and lentils are tender. Blend a cup or two for a creamier soup.


Enjoy!





1 comment:

Bearette said...

Looks good! I also prefer red potatoes.