Wednesday, April 8, 2015

8 Good Things


1. The Colors of Nature. It's a collection of nature essays. I'm reading it with a class this semester, and I find it to be accessible yet insightful and moving at the same time.

2. Homemade pesto. I don't know why I haven't been making pesto my whole life. It's pretty much the easiest thing ever and makes pasta night not seem like laziness because I'm making something. Recently, I made some from parsley instead of basil (because we got parsley in our CSA box), and it was still quite good.

3. Oh! Our new CSA! I told my students about CSA and several of them were saying they were looking into joining one. Then I thought, Why haven't I signed up for one yet? And then I fixed that. The first week was kale, carrots, lettuce, cauliflower, huge beets, bok choy, oranges, an avocado, strawberries, and the aforementioned parsley. We pay $25 per week/box. I can't get over how ridiculously exciting produce is when it's delivered rather than picked out by me at a store.

4. Katy Bowman's blog and books. I still have plantar fasciitis. Still. It's been about two years. I feel like I've tried everything, but a Twitter friend recommended Katy Bowman's work, and I'm giving the stretches from this book a try and paying more attention to my alignment. I've noticed a difference after a short time, so I'm hopeful. I also fashioned a less-floppy flip-flop (details later) that are incredibly comfortable for my little piggies.

5. Black bean chili with sweet potatoes. I've seen several recipes for black bean and sweet potato tacos or similar and it sounded gross, but I tossed a sweet potato into a pot of my regular black bean chili, and it was quite tasty. I didn't taste the sweet potato much, but somehow the blend was really good. I'll have to share a recipe soon.

6. Spring break! I'm actually at a pretty chill time in the semester, in between major assignments right now, but I still welcome a break. We don't have any real plans, but it's nice to catch up on some sleep.

7. Learning Spanish via pop songs. I've decided in my spare time (hah!) I'm going to improve my Spanish speaking skills (I can read and write decently) by learning songs. It's fun but really, really hard.

8. Going to UC Berkeley to listen to the Caravana 43 panel talk about what happened to the students from Ayotzinapa. Can I call this a "good" thing? I was honored to have the opportunity to hear them speak and show my support. I left feeling a greater sense of my responsibilities as an educator. So, yeah, it was a good thing that was born from a tragedy.

No comments: