Friday, June 12, 2015

Oh, Baby!


Blurry photo, my toes sneaking in at the bottom, caught up in a moment of nervous excitement
You might have noticed I've been a little absent from my usual posts about soup and whatnot, but the proverbial bun in the oven has kind of taken over my thoughts.

I'm going to be a mother, you guys. Of human offspring. Whoa. I'm at 12 weeks, and the baby's due date is December 22. We had our first ultrasound today. The websites say my baby is about the size of a lime or a plum. 

I hesitated making the big online announcement until today because I was having some surprising fears about this pregnancy. We'd been kind-of-trying and trying-trying for more than two years, so at first it hardly seemed real. I took two pregnancy tests and I still expected the doctor to say we had read them wrong. Then, I was convinced that I had lost the baby (even though there was no reason to believe that), and I was convinced it was because of my ineptitude or because my body is deficient. Needless to say, it's been a very stressful time for me these past several weeks. 

Seeing the baby on the screen today, hearing the heartbeat, and learning that everything looks fine at this point was an incredible relief. I finally feel excited about the baby and not just completely nervous. I know women always say this, but the fact that my body is making and housing another human is fascinating. Seeing him/her today made me feel like we have a relationship, and it went a long way towards helping me trust myself and my body. 

I'm feeling good physically--no morning sickness (lucky me!), but my appetite is certainly strange. I'm craving tangy, sour foods like mustard, Italian dressing, and limeade. I was feeling very fatigued in the beginning, but now that I'm on summer break, I'm resting and not getting crazy tired. As for the baby bump, now I understand what women were talking about when they'd say, "I don't look pregnant yet, just fat." That has not stopped me from wearing maternity clothes already. 

We'll be moving into a bigger place in the coming weeks, and I've already started knitting some baby items. Day by day, it becomes more real. Now I can finally say this and mean it: we're thrilled. 

As always, thanks for reading. 

9 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations! I saw your post on Twitter and I headed over here to see if you'd written a blog post. :) My birthday is in December, so I think it's a great month for a birthday. I'm glad to hear you are feeling excited and knitting baby items.

Domestic Kate said...

Thanks, Laura! Although first babies usually come late, I'm already thinking about how I'll make it up to this kid for having Christmas and birthday so close together.

This is going to sound funny, but because my mom had me when she was 25, I always felt the need to have my child when I was at an age ending in 0 or 5 (for easy math I guess), and it so happens this baby will be born when I'm 35 and when my husband is just shy of being 45.

rockygrace said...

Whaaaaaaaat?! Congratulations!

Bearette said...

No morning sickness...lucky indeed! You are missing out on the worst part :) Will you find out the gender? I think it's a girl for some reason...

Domestic Kate said...

I am lucky! My mom was the same way. Yesterday, I got inexplicably queasy in the afternoon, but it passed quickly. Sometimes I feel gross after I eat or feel very full very quickly, which is uncomfortable, but I know I've had it easy so far. We'll find out the sex. It's funny about your girl comment. When we first talked about having kids, I pictured us having a girl. It just seemed right. Now, I feel like it's a boy. Did you have any inclination about your kids?

Domestic Kate said...

And thanks, Rocky! Whaaaaaaat was kind of my reaction at first too!

Bearette said...

I thought Eric was a girl, so I didn't try to guess with Zoe. I did guess right with both my sister-in-law's babies (2 girls).

Domestic Kate said...

Maybe you have a way of sensing girls! I went in today for yet another ultrasound (part of the screening for DS, etc.), and the tech said he could give me a good guess at the sex if I wanted him to. I declined since it wouldn't be very accurate at this point and because my husband wasn't there with me. But I guess that means we could know at our next ultrasound in a few weeks.

Bearette said...

That would be cool :)