Tuesday, November 24, 2015

36 Weeks

Lots of striped clothes, not feeling well but trying to smile, Gdiapers, teething necklace, and OMG where did my belly button go?
The weeks are whizzing by now, and holy crap, I have a baby on the way. Part of me is terrified, but another part of me thinks this is one of the most normal choices I've ever made in my life.

The fun: It's getting harder to enjoy being pregnant. But there are moments. I daydream about what he's going to look like. I can "play" with him now by pressing on his feet and rear end when he moves around. The baby's room is looking a lot less barren and way more organized. Our Gdiapers arrived, and I never imagined I'd one day think diapers were cute.

The new: I'm feeling like labor and taking care of an infant don't seem as scary compared to the prospect of continued pregnancy; I'd rather have him out than in at this point. Some of my maternity clothes don't fit comfortably anymore, I'm fantasizing of one day being able to recognize my calves again, and I'm making plans for what to wear to make nursing easier. I've ordered a breast pump. My appetite has decreased as my stomach gets ever more smooshed. I find myself Facebook-stalking my friends' newborn photos, and I cry at commercials now. The baby is strong enough now that his kicks actually hurt sometimes, but it's amusing feeling what is definitely a foot poking out the side. People--even my students--are starting to comment on my size and appearance, indicating that I might be a waddling hot mess (but everyone insists I look good).

The weird: I'm having interesting dreams at night, probably due to my disrupted sleep (waking up to pee). They aren't about the baby, but they are quite strange and detailed. Something unexpected is that for some time now, I haven't been able to see my pelvic region, except in a mirror, which probably doesn't sound that strange until it happens to you. My bump sometimes looks fake, like the pregnancy suits actresses wear.

The unpleasant: Back pain! I'd avoided it so far, but now when all I want to do is sit on the couch in the evening and relax, I can't because it's so uncomfortable. Basically, I can't sit or stand, and even lying down comes with the hazard of not being able to get back up easily. I need 5 minutes to put on socks. Fatigue has returned, and that nausea I missed out on earlier in my pregnancy is gracing me with its presence now. I'm also having an increasingly difficult time concentrating on anything but the baby. Day-to-day life is exhausting and challenging.

Baby weighs around 6 pounds and is the length of a head of Romaine lettuce.

Also, I've been reading:

The Bed-Rest Hoax - Not that I'm dispensing medical advice, but I found the article fascinating and not at all surprising.

Pregnant Chicken - This blog makes me laugh out loud regularly. Recently read: Easiest Births Ever. Stages of Pregnancy.





1 comment:

Bearette said...

I had both my babies at 39 weeks...enjoy!